info@lakeapp.com
sales@lakeapp.com
Phone English: +39 373 7708154
LakeApp | Villa Melzi D’Eril
Francesco Melzi d'Eril, Duke of Lodi, Vice President of the First Italian Republic and a personal friend of Napoleon, decided at the beginning of the nineteenth century to build a summer residence at Bellagio on a site with an incomparable view and with a mild climate.
Villa Melzi D'Eril, Lake Como, LakeApp, Lago di Como, mobile application, lake app
15461
portfolio_page-template-default,single,single-portfolio_page,postid-15461,mltlngg-en_GB,ajax_updown_fade,page_not_loaded,,side_area_uncovered_from_content,vss_responsive_adv,qode-theme-ver-9.1.2,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-4.12,vc_responsive

Villa Melzi D’Eril

  • Villa Melzi D'Eril - LakeApp
  • Villa Melzi D'Eril - LakeApp
  • Villa Melzi D'Eril - LakeApp

LakeApp

Villa Melzi D’Eril

ENGLISH

Post in English

Francesco Melzi d’Eril, Duke of Lodi, Vice President of the First Italian Republic and a personal friend of Napoleon, decided at the beginning of the nineteenth century to build a summer residence at Bellagio on a site with an incomparable view and with a mild climate. He wanted it to be as elegant as the Villa Reale in Monza and other villas on Lake Como. Construction of the house was entrusted to Giocondo Albertolli, the architect on whom he had also relied for his Milan palace, while the park was placed in the hands of Luigi Canonica and the agronomist Luigi Villoresi, creators of Monza Park. Constructed to a neo-classical design between 1808 and 1810, its proportions were designed to blend elegantly into the area of the second promontory of Bellagio, almost becoming an integral part of it.

The great appeal of this property lies in its extraordinary park facing on to the lake and in the ploys that create an illusion of space, although in reality it is confined between the foot of the hill, which is also a monumental park, and the water. The visitor is greeted by a small lake of water lilies, just beyond a kiosk in Moorish style with a delightful view of Bellagio and in front of the monument of Dante and Beatrice by Comolli, which seems to have inspired Liszt’s “Dante sonata”. Along the lake and beside a splendid Pinus Montezuma there is an ancient Egyptian statue to the goddess Pacht, together with other spoils of Napoleon’s Egyptian campaign.

The walk along the avenue of low-cut umbrella-shaped plane trees ends at the huge terrace in front of the villa, with a scenic view of the lake, while all around and near the house there are exquisite ancient statues. The family chapel also designed by the architect Albertolli, marks off the garden with its splendid neoclassical monuments. In the park rare, exotic trees alternate with others that are centuries old and gigantic flowering hedges of camellias, rhododendrons and azaleas. Among the most valuable examples there are Liriodendron tulipifera, cedars of Lebanon, copper beeches, camphor trees, Ginkgo Bilobas and other species that can be recognized during the walk from the signs placed at the foot of the trees. Inside the park the old orangery greenhouse beside the Villa is now set up as a museum, containing relics and prints of the First Italian Republic.

Opening hours:
Open from March to October. Everyday 9.30 am to 6.30 pm

Tickets:
€ 6,50 per person. Groups (min 15) € 5,00. School groups € 4,00. Children under 6 years have free entrance Two-day pass €8,00 (extra day is €4). Season ticket € 50,00. Guided tours are available – advanced booking required. Payment at ticket office (no credit cards). Gravelled paths accessible in wheelchair. No bicycles allowed. Dogs only on leach.

ITALIANO

Post in Italian

Francesco Melzi d’Eril, duca di Lodi, vicepresidente della Prima Repubblica Italiana e amico personale di Napoleone, decise ai primi dell’Ottocento di realizzare la residenza estiva a Bellagio, in un sito dall’incomparabile vista e dal clima mite,che volle elegante come la Villa Reale di Monza e le ville sul lago di Como. Se ne occupò Giocondo Albertolli, architetto di fiducia anche per il palazzo di Milano, mentre il parco venne affidato a Luigi Canonica e all’agronomo Luigi Villoresi, realizzatori del Parco di Monza.

Eretta in forme neoclassiche tra il 1808 e il 1810, con le sue proporzioni la villa si integra nel secondo promontorio di Bellagio in modo elegante.

Il maggiore fascino della proprietà risiede nello straordinario parco affacciato sul lago e negli espedienti adottati per dilatare otticamente lo spazio, in realtà angusto, tra l’incipiente collina (a sua volta parco monumentale) e lo specchio d’acqua.
Ad accogliere il visitatore un laghetto di ninfee, poco oltre un chiosco in stile moresco con incantevole veduta su Bellagio e, di fronte, il monumento a Dante e Beatrice del Comolli, che pare abbia ispirato la Sonata a Dante di Liszt. Lungo il lago e accanto a uno splendido esemplare di Pinus Montezuma trova posto un’antica statua egizia della dea Pacht insieme ad altre provenienti dalla campagna d’Egitto di Napoleone.

La passeggiata del viale dei platani, potati bassi con maestria ad ombrello, termina nel vasto terrazzo antistante la villa, incorniciato da antiche e pregevoli statue. La cappella di famiglia, anch’essa progettata dall’Albertolli, delimita il giardino con i suoi splendidi monumenti neoclassici.

Nel parco piante esotiche e rare si alternano ad alberi secolari, gigantesche siepi di camelie, rododendri e azalee. Tra le piante più preziose si ricordano Liriodendron tulipifera, cedri del Libano, faggi rossi, canfore, Ginkgo biloba; altre ancora, di valore botanico e storico, sono cartellinate per aggiungere interesse alla visita.

La vecchia serra aranciera a lato della villa è ora adibita a museo di cimeli e stampe della prima Repubblica Italiana.

http://www.grandigiardini.it

Lake

Lake Como

Address

Via Lungolario Manzoni, 22021 Bellagio

Nearest city

Bellagio

Date

February 13, 2016

Category
Lake Como, Parks & Villas, Walks
No Comments

Post A Comment